Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Clare's Second Day in School

This morning, Clare woke up on her own at around 7am. We asked her if she wanted to go to school. Initially, she said no but after a while she wanted to go to school. Clare then asked for milk and we brushed her teeth. We changed her into her school PE attire and she really looks like a big kid now.


As usual, we were the earliest to reach the centre. Clare seemed more settled than her first day. She took out her puzzle to do and our aunt was telling us how her first day went. After a while, she started to get a little clingy to us and we decided that it was time for us to leave. Our aunt brought her to her office to get a biscuit. Before she walked off, we waved goodbye to her and told her that we would see her later. She refused initially but after I told her again that I would see her later, she went in with my aunt.

We went for breakfast together and Damon had to go for work. I made my way home and I felt very lost. Somehow, it feels weird that I am at home alone without Clare. I suddenly missed her very much even though at times I yearn for some personal time and I started to wonder how she is doing in school.

"Life-Skills - Scooping"

I received a call from my aunt at around 12 plus and she gave me the following feedback:

Feedback #1:
Clare cried very badly when she was asked to stop her scooping work so that she could wash her hands for lunch. Her cries got worst and she pretended to cough to the extent that she's going to vomit. After the teachers tried to pacify her to no avail, my aunt stepped in and brought her to her office. After talking to Clare, she resettled and went for her lunch.

Feedback #2:
After taking her lunch, Clare was given fruits. When my aunt gave her the first spoonful, she refused to open her mouth and asked what's she was being given. After being told that they're pears, she willingly opened her mouth to eat them. The teachers were joking that it would be very hard to poison her.

Feedback #3:
She has this habit of playing with her saliva.

Feedback #4:
Clare was not willing to eat her breakfast. She was given kaya bread and horlicks for breakfast. Clare just stared at her bread and refused to eat it. My aunt asked if she wanted to eat. Clare replied no and my aunt followed up by saying then she had to give up her seat so another child could have her breakfast. Then she changed her mind and said she wanted to eat. However, after a long long time, she only finished half her bread.

Feedback #5:
After taking her biscuit from my aunt, Clare went back to her classroom and found out that we were not there. She asked for us and my aunt told her that Daddy and Mummy got to go to work today and she said ok and went on to eat her biscuit.

After hearing all the feedback, I felt a little bad and upset that it was not a very smooth day for Clare in school today. Before ending our conversation, my aunt told me not to worry and that we would work together to help Clare along.

Then she sent me a mms of a picture of Clare doing her work. I replied to her mms saying, "Thanks for the feedback and for sending the picture to me. Damon and I feel very assured that Clare is in your centre but I hope she will not pose much problems for you and her teachers."

Almost immediately, I received a call from her again. She told me never never to think of it as Clare posing problems for them. She said that it was their responsibilities to help mould a child's character and behaviour. She then reassured me that Clare is a very matured girl and she is still constantly growing and exploring. As long as parents and the school are willing to work together, Clare will be able to progress very well and things will settle very fast. And throughout the conversation, I was trying very hard to fight back my tears because I was just so touched by her passion and love for children and education.

Thank you God for such a wonderful aunt and for blessing Clare with a loving and patient teacher and a wonderful learning environment.

No comments: